Let’s play a game of inspiration:
Give exactly 3 books, movies, albums which are THE important ones of all times to you. These are the “if you don’t know them you’ve missed essential stuff”-ones. Make it 3 and no more! This limitation is the hard part, as you will find out if you try it.
Here are mine:
Albums: Blood Sugar Sex Magik by Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, Timeless by Goldie
Movies: Matrix, Clerks, Subway
Books: Lord of the Rings by Tolkien, Neuromancer by William Gibson, Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.
What are yours?
UPDATE: picture about StefanH’s comment (see below):
18 thoughts on “Call for essential books, movies and albums (3×3)”
– Dave Brubeck Quartet: Live at Carnegie Hall
– Rush: Moving Pictures
– Gang of Four: Entertainment
– Louis Malle: Eine Komödie im Mai
– P. & V. Taviani: Padre Padrone
– Jim Jarmusch: Down by Law
– T.H. White: The Once and Future King
– John Irving: Hotel New Hampshire
– John Brunner: Shockwave Rider
Finished Shockwave Rider. Really cool, sometimes hard to understand but a worthy 3×3 entry IMHO.
Listened to Moving Pictures. Yep, cool stuff.
Supertramp: Crime of the Century
Dire Straits: Dire Straits
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
Tim Burton: Big Fish
Jim Jarmusch: Night on Earth
Peter Bogdanovich: Is’ was Doc
J.R.R. Tolkien: Lord of the Rings
Ernest Hemingway: The Old Man and the Sea
Anna Jürgen: Blauvogel
Listened to Dark Side of the Moon again. Still cool after all these years.
– Jack Johnson: In Between Dreams
– Foo Fighters: Best of
– Amanda Marshall: Amanda Marshall
– Star Dust / Sternenwanderer
– Wunderbare Welt der Amelie / Le fabuleux destin d’Amélie Poulain
– Lord of the Rings (minus whiny Frodo)
– Terry Pratchett: Kleine Freie Männer / Wee Free Man
– Christopher Moore: Bibel nach Biff / Lamb. The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal
– Joanne Fedler: Heißhunger
Thanks folks. Very interessting.
1. Downloaded the Brubeck Album, but still listening. First two songs were awesome.
2. Reading Shockwave Rider now. As a fan of cyberpunkt I had this on me “Read-me-List” for years until now.
3. Once and future king is one of my favorite books, too. It just made not the Top-3, though.
Some interesseting music which I did not listen to for years. Have to change that :). The movies and books are a good tip, too. Thanks for that.
I won’t read Heißhunger, my dear. 🙂
– Alaska Kid, Jack London
– The Rules of Management, Expanded Edition: A Definitive Code for Managerial Success (Richard Templar’s Rules)
– Die kleine Raupe Nimmersatt. Ein Bilderbuch, Eric Carle
Found “Raupe Nimmersatt” on ShareIT and included it into my calibre db. Will read that again. Long time from being a kid.
This could be related:
Indeed difficult to limit to 3:
Frankie goes to Hollywood: Welcome to the Pleasure Dome
Frank Zappa: Joes Garage
Peter Gabriel: (3rd Album)
Eat the Rich
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Roger Zelazny: Creatures of Light and Darkness
Nicholas Negroponte: Digital Being
The Holy Bible
Frank Zappa, o my god! I’m already hearing that “turn it down, turn it down!” cries from my wife and kids. 🙂
Actually, I read the bible already. Interessting, not only for the former atlar boy.
– Jillian Hoffman: Cupido
– Steven C. Lundin: Fish! (der Klassiker von Fischmarkt in Seattle)
– B.&A. Pease: Warum Männer lügen und Frauen immer Schuhe kaufen
– Melissa Etheridge: the Awakening
– Peter Gabriel: Scratch my back
– Ben Howard: Every Kingdom
– und täglich grüßt das Murmeltier
– Miami Vice (2006)
Highlander is amazing (especially the scence transitions like the one from the underground parking lot to the highlands or form Mona Lisa in NY to CL’s face), but “Miami Vice”? 😉
We definitly have a Peter Gabriel peek in music. Have to listen to some of this records, soon.
Die Hard I
Genesis – Foxtrot
Peter Gabriel – So
Metallica – Black